2017-2018 College Catalog 
    Feb 05, 2023  
2017-2018 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission and Registration

The Admission Process

Brookdale Community College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution. All new students, whether planning to attend for a single course or full time, must complete and submit the on-line application, including a non-refundable $25 application fee. Applications may also be brought to the Admissions Office (www.brookdalecc.edu/applying-to-brookdale). Students will be admitted upon proof of vaccinations per U.S. Department of Education policy. Applicants may automatically enter any Brookdale program with the exception of the Culinary-AAS, Electric Utility Technology-AAS, Nursing-AAS, Respiratory Care-AAS, Radiologic Technology-AAS, and GM-ASEP Automotive-AAS programs, and the Paralegal Studies Academic Credit Certificate, which involve an additional process. Applicants should contact the Admissions Office for details. Applicants should indicate their intent as a full-time or part-time student. Prospective international students should contact the International Education Center (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/international/) for additional admission requirements. NOTE: A valid U.S. Social Security number may be required for completion of some academic programs that require an internship or placement in organizations that require a background check.

I.D. Cards

Each Brookdale student must have a BCC I.D. card whether full-time or part-time. Without one, a student cannot borrow a book from the Library, use recreation facilities, get student discounts on tickets, gain free entry to student events, and/or use the computer labs or the Testing Center. A Brookdale Student I.D. card is obtained on the second floor of the CAR building  or by having your I.D. photo taken at any of the regional locations Student Success Centers. Students must bring an official copy of their current schedule and a valid photo identification to obtain a Brookdale I.D. card. On the first day of each term, students must validate their I.D. cards where they received them or at any regional location. There is a replacement fee of $15 for students who loose their I.D. card.

Residency Definitions

Monmouth County Resident - A person with a permanent Monmouth County address who has lived in New Jersey for at least one year prior to the first day of instruction. Armed Forces personnel and their dependents stationed in the county are considered Monmouth County residents, regardless of residency requirements.

Out-of-County Resident - A resident of a county other than Monmouth, who has lived in New Jersey for at least one year prior to the first day of instruction. The tuition  (www.brookdalecc.edu/admissions/tuition-fees/) rate, as well as the maximum amount per term is higher than the rate for Monmouth County residents. However, if you attend Brookdale because your county does not have a community college, or because the community college does not offer the program you wish to pursue, you may be eligible for full or partial “charge back”, a system by which you pay in-county tuition rates. Contact Brookdale’s Admissions Office or the Admissions Office of your local community college.

Out-of-State Resident - A person who has not lived in New Jersey for at least one year prior to the first day of instruction. The tuition rate as well as the maximum amount per term is higher than the rate for out-of-county residents.

Out-of-Country Resident - A person in the United States for purposes other than that of establishing permanent residence, with non-immigrant status as designated under immigration regulations. Individuals who wish to apply for a student visa to attend Brookdale Community College should contact the International Education Center for additional information. Out-of country residents tuition is assessed at the same rate as out-of-state residents.

Change in Residence - Students must request a change in residency and provide all residency documents before the end of the refund (add/drop) period to receive in-county tuition for a semester or term. Tuition billing will be adjusted for the student’s next semester or term if residency documents are submitted after the refund period. Following is the list of documents required for proof of residency:

1.  Student must have a valid New Jersey driver’s license or a State issued photo I.D. card.

2.  Any one of the following valid documents (dated within one year) is acceptable:

  • Current Lease or Deed
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Utility Bill, Bank Statement or Postmarked Correspondence

NOTE: On-line printed documents ARE NOT accepted.

Program Matriculation

Matriculation means enrollment in a particular program or option leading to a degree or certificate. Matriculated students are defined as degree seeking students. Non-degree students are those who not pursuing a degree but take courses for a variety of reasons. These students may waive matriculation into a program up to 30 credits. Non-degree students who have completed 11 credits at Brookdale and want to become degree seeking students, or waive matriculation for up to 30 credits are required to take a Foundational Studies Placement Test (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/foundational-studies/) and declare a major, or they must meet test waiver requirements, before being permitted to register for the twelfth credit.

Programs of study and Certificates can change, be deleted or added year to year. When a student matriculates, that is declares the program of study or certificate, the requirements listed in that year’s College Catalog are the requirements students must meet to achieve the degree or certificate. The student does have the option to change to the next year’s catalog if requirements in their current program or certificate change the following year or they can continue in academic year in which they matriculated.

If a student decides to change their program of study, the student must meet all requirements listed in the College Catalog in effect at the time of the program change.

It is important to know that after matriculating into a program or certificate, if a student is not enrolled for one year from the end of the semester in which they last attended, the student must meet all requirements listed in the College Catalog for the semester or term in which they resume study.

Students should review the full Matriculation Regulation (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/documents/board-of-trustees/regulations/6-1502r-matriculation.pdf)  for a more complete explanation and understanding of program matriculation.

Degree Students

Degree students are enrolled in programs leading to degrees and/or certificates. In addition to the Brookdale application, degree students must submit a record of high school graduation or attendance and immunization documentation. Students with equivalency diplomas should submit either a copy of the diploma or the actual scores received. A form to request high school records is available from the Admissions Office, as are the application and immunization forms. Students without high school or equivalency diplomas will be referred to Brookdale’s 30-credit high school equivalency program (http://www.state.nj.us/education/students/adulted/30ccapp.htm). Degree students must select a major field, keeping in mind that program selection may be changed at any time. REMEMBER, students who change their program, MUST complete all requirements listed in the College Catalog in effect at the time of the program change. Those unsure about a major field of study should indicate a general interest area. The admissions process cannot continue until a major  or interest area has been declared.

Transfer Students

Degree students transferring to Brookdale after gaining credits elsewhere are required to submit official transcripts from their other colleges or post-secondary schools. Non-remedial credits with grades of “C” (2.0) or above may be accepted toward Brookdale degrees, if applicable to the chosen program. In some instances, trade and technical schools and Armed Forces classes are accepted for Brookdale credit. Transcripts must be official and students wishing to have previous credits evaluated toward Brookdale degrees are responsible for having transcripts sent to the Office of Recruitment Services and informing their Counselor or Advisor that they would like their transcripts evaluated. Transfer credit will not be posted to the official college transcript until the student has successfully completed their current semester at Brookdale. For additional information go to the Transfer To Brookdale (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/recruitment/transfer-to-brookdale/) page on  the Recruitment Services website (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/recruitment/).

Pre-Registration Testing

All new degree students must take a Placement Test which includes measurement of reading, writing and mathematics. This test is designed to assure that students are ready to perform college-level work. Students are strongly encouraged to prepare for the test by visiting  https://www.brookdalecc.edu/testing-services/accuplacerbasic-skills-testing

Waivers of testing are available to students under the following provisions:

Full Test Waiver
(Students will not have to take the test):

  1. Students who have completed at least 24 college level credits with a grade of “C” or better from an accredited college. These 24 credits must include English composition and a mathematics course higher than elementary Algebra.
  2. Students have taken the Accuplacer test at another college.
  3. Students have at least a four-year degree from an accredited college.

Partial Test Waiver
(Students only need part of the test):

  1. Students who have taken the SAT test and have achieved the following scores (as of 3/1/2016):
    1. Math - a score of 530 or higher waives both Computation and Algebra tests.
    2. Evidence Based Reading and Writing (ERW) - a score 480 or higher waives both the Writing and Reading tests
  2. Students who have taken the SAT test and have scored as follows (as of 1/1/2013-2/29/2016):

        a. Critical Reading score of 540 or higher waives both Writing and Reading tests.
        b. Quantitative score of 530 or higher waives both Computation and Algebra tests
  3. Students who have taken ACT tests with scores less than three years old and have achieved the following scores:

    ACT tests taken on or after Sept. 10, 2016:

           a. ACT Math score of 22 or higher waives both Computation and Algebra.
           b. ACT Reading score of 23 or higher waives both the Reading Comprehension Section of the test.
           c. ACT Writing score of 8 or higher waives the Sentence Skills section of the test. (Note: ACT Writing Scale of 2-12)

        ACT tests taken prior to Sept. 10, 2016:

          a. ACT Math score of 22 or higher waives both Computation and Algebra.
          b. ACT Reading score of 23 or higher waives the Reading Comprehension Section of the test
          c. ACT Writing score of 23 or higher waives the Sentence Skills portion of the test. (Note: ACT Writing Scale of 1-36)

    4.  GED Waiver - You have taken the GED Test and have scored as follows:

         a. Math - a score of 170 or higher in the Math section of the GED will waive both Computation and Algebra tests.
         b. Language Arts -  a score of 170 or higher in the Language Arts section of the GED will waive both Writing (Sentence Skills) and Reading (Reading Comprehension) tests.

    5.  A student MAY qualify for a partial waiver if he/she has credits from another college that do not meet the full guidelines of the Full Test Waiver category above.  An individual assessment must be made.

    6.  Non-native speakers of English and persons age 65 and older may also be eligible for a test waiver. To receive a test waiver, students must apply in person at the Student Services One Stop Center (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/onestop/)

Those wishing to waive on the basis of previous credits must provide an official or unofficial transcript or a college diploma. Students with documented disabilities who would like to request appropriate accommodations should contact the Disability Services Office (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/disability-services/) prior to testing. Call 732-224-2730 or if hearing impaired, please call 732-842-4211 (TTY).

Once the student has tested, he or she will be given instructions by the Testing Center (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/testing-services/) staff on the next steps, which will include participating in a session with an Academic Advisor to plan and choose first semester classes.

Students whose scores indicate the need to enhance skills in the areas of reading, language arts, and/or pre-algebra or elementary algebra will be placed in the appropriate Foundational Skills courses.  Students with gaps in their academic backgrounds, or those who, with the passage of time, have grown rusty in one or more of these areas, will find the Foundational courses are designed to bring skills up to the necessary level for optimum college performance  Students needing such work must take and satisfactorily complete the Foundational courses - although, credits do not count towards graduation.  (Students whose scores indicate no need for developmental work may not enroll in these courses.)

Foundational Studies

Courses in foundational studies reading, writing and mathematics are provided to help under-prepared students gain the necessary skills to succeed in college-level course work. The program consists of testing, placement, counseling, courses and support services. The objectives of Foundational Studies (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/foundational-studies/) at Brookdale Community College are to:

  • Assess and identify students’ academic needs.
  • Address these needs through counseling and foundational studies coursework in writing, reading and mathematics and related support services.
  • Establish requirements for enrollment in and completion of necessary foundational studies courses.

The College will provide Accuplacer (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/testing-services/accuplacerbasic-skills-testing/) placement testing to identify and assess students’ academic needs. Students who do not meet the required entry level requirements must take and pass Foundational Studies courses as outlined below. Foundational Studies courses are offered below the 100 level for institutional credit and will not be counted as credits toward graduation or GPA.

The following students are required to be tested for placement:

  1.  All first-time entering full-time and part-time matriculated students. (See Test Waivers Above)
  2. Transfer students who have not passed a college-level writing course or a college-level math course beyond elementary algebra (only the appropriate Accuplacer subject tests are required). Students with fewer than 24 credits of college-level courses must take the Reading Accuplacer test.
  3. Non-matriculating students registering for their 12th credit.
  4. Non-matriculating students below 12 credits who wish to register for Foundational Studies courses or a course with Foundational Studies pre/co-requisites.
  5. Students at the end of the ESL sequence.

Students are entitled to one retest per subject area. Retests are given in the Testing Center, (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/testing-services/) located on the lower level of the CAR building on a walk-in basis, and at the Brookdale regional locations and Freehold Campus (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/regional-locations/) by appointment. The Writing test must be taken in the Writing Center (www.brookdalecc.edu/writing-center) located in LAH 118. Please call 732-224-2941 for Writing Center hours and information.

A retest in a given subject area must be taken prior to the end of the add/drop period in the first semester of the required Foundational Studies course.

Students identified as requiring developmental coursework will be placed in those courses as follows:

  • Foundational Studies Reading: within the first 12 credits
  • Foundational Studies Writing: within the first 12 credits
  • Foundational Studies Mathematics (Algebra and/or Pre-algebra): within the first 12 credits unless the counselor determines that foundational reading and writing should be completed first; in that case, in the first semester following completion of required foundational reading.

In order to fulfill Foundational Studies requirements, students must pass all required courses. Students who do not complete a Foundational Studies course are required to re-register for the course in the next term. The Registrar will notify students who fail any course(s) including Foundational Studies courses indicating that they must contact their counselor regarding future course enrollment.

Students may not register for any course for which they have not met Foundational Studies prerequisites or co-requisites. In a 2 or 3 course sequence, students must take the next course in the sequence.  Foundational Studies Placement Test scores are good for three (3) years. After three (3) years, students must either retest or see a counselor to be placed in courses based on current skills.

Admission to Health Science Programs

To be eligible for admission to Health Science programs, a person must:

  1. Have a high school diploma or the equivalent.
  2. Complete the Brookdale application and the specific program application forms.
  3. Take the Foundational Studies Placement Test and complete any courses required as a result of scores.
  4. Have passing grades in high school Biology and Chemistry for the Nursing, Respiratory Care, and Radiologic Technology programs or pass the equivalent College courses.
  5. Pass a standardized Health Science entrance exam for all Health Science programs
  6. Attend an information session.
  7. Complete HESC 105 Medical Terminology prior to the start of the Respiratory Care Program.
  8. Complete HESC 105 Medical Terminology and BIOL 111 Anatomy and Physiology I prior to the start of the Radiologic Technology Program.
  9. Complete a course as a CNA/CHHA/PCA/PCT prior to the start of the Nursing program.
  10. Successful completion of ENGL 121 English Composition: The Writing Process, PSYC 106 Introduction to Psychology II, BIOL 111 Anatomy and Physiology, and HESC 107 Health Care Career Exploration prior to the start of the Nursing program.
  11. Clinical agencies mandate criminal history background checks for all individuals engaged in patient care and all students must undergo criminal history background checks. A criminal history background check, which requires a valid social security number, must be completed prior to admission to the allied health programs.  Students enrolled in the Health Information Technology Program are required to complete the criminal background check prior to the start of the practicum experience (HITC 226).  These checks are conducted by an external vendor and the information is sent to the College and to clinical agencies. Agency personnel will evaluate the information they receive and, in their sole discretion, make the final determination as to each student’s ability to continue to engage in patient care in their agency. If a student is denied clinical placement by any clinical agency due to criminal history information, that student will be dropped from the program.
  12. Participation in clinical laboratory is also contingent on a satisfactory medical examination report (including vaccination history for tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis; varicella; measles/mumps/rubella; and hepatitis B, as well as proof of current vaccination for influenza) from a physician or nurse practitioner.
  13. Some clinical placements may require students provide documentation of negative drug screens.  You will be informed of the processes for drug testing if your clinical placement requires it.
  14. Brookdale maintains contracts with affiliated facilities which stipulate participation by students whose health and scholastic progress assure a safe level of clinical performance. Unsafe practice at any point in the semester will result in the student being dismissed from the program.

Applicants are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until the classes are filled. The number of students admitted depends on the availability of faculty and clinical facilities.

Persons with relevant previous college credits may have their transcripts evaluated for program credit.

Licensure Requirements for Health Science Graduates

Graduates of the Health Science program who wish to apply for a license to practice must answer questions on the licensing application related to a criminal history. These questions can be accessed at the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs website (www.njconsumeraffairs.gov) under the specific discipline.

Admission to the Electric Utility Technology Program

The Electric Utility Technology AAS is offered in partnership with FirstEnergy Corp. to train top-quality, well-educated experienced line workers and substation electricians.  To earn this degree, students need to complete 61 credits consecutively over four semesters and a summer internship.  Classes are held at Brookdale Community College Freehold campus and laboratory courses are held at a JCP&L facility.  Students must satisfy specific requirements for admission to the program. Prospective students participate in skills evaluations that include activities that test strength, endurance and ability to work in an elevated position. The program begins in the Fall term. 

Below is a summary of admission steps:

  1. Attend an Open House/program orientation hosted by FirstEnergy.  Students should complete a Candidate History Form at the Open House.
  2. Apply for Admission to Brookdale; send any previous college transcripts to Brookdale for evaluation
  3. Complete Brookdale placement testing
  4. Meet with a counselor
  5. Complete developmental coursework if required during summer terms
  6. Complete a FAFSA. Visit Brookdale’s Financial Aid (www.brookdalecc.edu/admissions/financial-aid) website for more information. 
  7. Attend technical and physical evaluations scheduled by First Energy

 Non-Degree Students

Non-degree students are those students not enrolled in programs of study leading to degrees or certificates. These students may take up to 11 Brookdale credits without declaring a major. Non-degree students may change to matriculated status at any time. Non-degree students must file the Brookdale application, and then may register upon acceptance. Although non-degree students are not required to meet with a counselor or advisor, this service is available and recommended. Certain courses require pre-registration testing. Non-degree students should consult this catalog to determine if the courses they wish to take require the Foundational Studies Placement Test and/or any other pre-requisite course(s).

Advising & Counseling

The department offers advising and counseling services as well as Distance Counseling  (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/academic-advising/distance-advising/) to all Brookdale students. The services include academic planning and course approvals, advisement for students transferring to or from Brookdale, career counseling and specialized testing referrals. While non-degree students are not required to meet with an advisor or counselor, they are available for non-degree students as well. For a list of services and how to contact us, please visit the Advising and Counseling (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/academic-advising/) webpage. If you are a non-degree student,review the catalog course descriptions very carefully. A non-degree student who drops a course or is dropped from a course because of a lack of appropriate prerequisites will not receive a refund. To make an appointment call 732-224-2555.

Personal & Psychological Counseling

Brookdale has professionally trained, New Jersey licensed counselors available to talk students through the adjustments and demands of college, personal issues, work or just that feeling of being overwhelmed. Our psychological counselors will connect students to resources here at Brookdale and/or additional resources in the community for students who need continued assistance with family/relationship issues, feelings of anxiety and depression, substance use issues or personal crises, such as grief and loss.  Conversations are kept confidential and are conducted in a safe and supportive environment. To schedule an appointment call 732-224-2986. You can also visit the website (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/counseling/) for additional information and links to various resources.

Registering For Courses

Registration dates, as well other important term dates can be found under the Admissions And Aid tab on the Brookdale homepage (https://www.brookdalecc.edu). Click on each term for term specific dates. Take note of these dates as they contain payment due dates for the term, add/drop periods, tuition refund periods, first day of instruction, last day to drop classes, and official College closings for example. Students must pay all financial obligations; failure to meet these obligations will result in the withholding of grades and/or transcripts and the inability to register for subsequent terms or receive final transcripts. Students must also comply with state and federal regulations, noncompliance could result in dismissal from classes. Classes may be cancelled at the discretion of the Vice President of Learning. If the College cancels classes,students will be notified and issued an automatic refund.

Priority Registration

After the initial semester of study, students will receive priority registration passes through their Brookdale email (the official communication tool between the College and students). The initial days of each registration period are reserved for returning students to ensure registration for courses required for program completion. There is a date and time listed on the priority pass and students may register on that date/time or later, but not before. Students are urged to take advantage of priority passes since courses fill up quickly and lines become lengthy later in the registration period.

Open Registration

New students may register on or after the first day of open registration. Registration dates can be found on the Brookdale homepage (www.brookdalecc.edu/) under the Admissions And Aid tab. Students with credits from other institutions or who have relevant field experience may be required to provide transcripts to the Office of Recruitment Services or meet with Brookdale faculty to determine eligibility to take particular courses.

Credit by Examination (CLEP and DSST)

Testing Services offers CLEP and DSST assessments, which are credit-by-examination programs for students who have gained knowledge elsewhere - in school, on the job, in the military, through independent study, or through other learning experiences. Credit-by-examination testing may allow students to bypass subjects in which they already have college-level knowledge. The CLEP and DSST tests are given exclusively on computers, consisting of a variety of general education and subject examinations. Students may choose any one or a combination of tests, and if passed, students will receive credit at Brookdale. Please check the Testing Center (www.brookdalecc.edu/testing-services) website for cut off scores and course equivalences. CLEP and DSST credits are accepted at over 2,000 colleges and universities throughout the country. Stop by the Office of Testing Services or consult with a counselor for additional information.

Once The Term Begins…

Attendance Policy

Individual instructors determine the attendance policy for their courses. Instructors will distribute their attendance policy in the syllabi or instructor addendum. It is the responsibility of every student to know and adhere to the attendance policy specified for each class. Attendance may affect a student’s eligibility for financial aid and Veterans’ benefits.


Students may withdraw from courses without financial penalty any time BEFORE the first day of a term. Students must complete an Add/Drop Form in person in the Admission, Records and Registration Office or on-line if eligible, check the FAQ in WebAdvisor, question #25. A full refund of tuition and fees will ONLY be granted prior to the first day of the term; a check will be mailed within four to six weeks. As of the first day of the term, refund amounts are reduced and are provided for tuition only. All fees are non-refundable once the term begins. Brookdale’s refund policy states that a student may receive 100% refund of tuition and fees up until the DAY BEFORE the first day of the term; 80% refund of tuition only, no fees during the first week of the term; 60% refund of tuition only, no fees during the second week of the term.  No refund will be issued after the second week in any given term. Select Important Term Dates (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/about/important-term-dates/) under the Admissions tab on the Brookdale homepage for refund periods and more. Students are responsible for knowing these dates. Courses that the College drops from the schedule are not the student’s responsibility and students in cancelled courses will be notified by email and telephone when possible. Students should make sure their telephone numbers are correct . Students may elect to choose other courses and pay additional tuition and fees if the credit total is larger, or receive a refund by mail if they opt for courses with fewer credits. If a student does not wish to select another course, a full refund will automatically be sent. See College Regulation 4.1003R Refunds for Tuition and/or Fees for complete details.

Special Refund Conditions

Medical Illness: A full refund of tuition and fees will be granted to students who officially withdraw during the term in which an illness occurs. Students must submit an Appeal for Medical Withdrawal, an Add/Drop form and documentation as specified on the Appeal form, to the Admissions, Records and Registration Office or your local Regional location. Appeal for Withdrawal and Add/Drop forms are available in the office of Admissions and at Regional locations. In some cases, students may be required to repay Financial Aid money received for the term before the process can be completed. Students will be notified by postal mail of any required repayment once their appeal has been reviewed and a determination made. This process may take up to 6-weeks.

Military Service: A full refund of tuition and fees will be granted if a student enters any branch of the United States military during the term enrolled. To receive a full refund, students must submit to the Admission,Records and Registration office, a copy of the induction/enlistment papers, an Appeal for Withdrawal and an Add/Drop form. The date of induction must be prior to the last day of the term of enrollment. Credits must not have been awarded in the course(s) for which the refund is requested. Forms are available in the office of Admissions.

Adding/Dropping Courses

Students are responsible for ensuring all pre and co-requisite requirements are met before taking courses. Students who register for classes before grades are finalized must drop classes if they do not successfully pass the pre or co-requisite subject(s). Students who do not withdraw from classes for which they have not completed the pre or co-requisite required courses will be dropped with no refund.

Based on certain eligibility requirements, students may be able to add and/or drop classes on-line. To determine eligibility, click the red MyBrookdale button, select Web Advisor from the various applications. Look under the Instructions and Policy section and click on the Frequently Asked Questions link and read question #25 “Can I register online?”  NOTE: Students with certain restrictions such as a financial or Library hold, will not be able to drop courses on line. Students in these situations much go to the Student Services One Stop Center for assistance in dropping courses. Students must then follow-up with the Cashier to resolve any financial issues.

If a student adds a course(s) the student must pay any additional tuition and fees. If a student drops a course(s) and is eligible for a refund, a check will be mailed. Students must OFFICIALLY drop courses during the refund period listed in the important term dates  to receive a refund. Students who do not officially drop a course during the dates specified are responsible for all fees and tuition payments. If students stop attending a course(s) during a term, students must OFFICIALLY withdraw from the course(s). If the student does not officially withdraw, an F will be assigned for the course and will become part of the official college transcript. These transactions CAN NOT be done over the phone.

Course Cancellation Policy

When students register for courses and the paid course is canceled or the time is changed, students will be informed by email or by telephone as possible. Students can replace the canceled course through the appropriate Institute Office. If for any reason students have to change their schedule, an Add/Drop form must be completed and brought to the Admissions Office.

Academic Credit Hour Policy

Brookdale Community College complies with regulations set forth by the United States Department of Education and New Jersey Administrative Code Title 9A.

An academic credit hour is 50 minutes and is the measure for awarding credit.  Brookdale awards one credit for 750 minutes of lecture time (50 minutes per week for 15 weeks) complemented by a minimum of 1500 minutes of outside class student work (100 minutes per week for 15 weeks) per term.

One credit of laboratory/studio experience is awarded for a minimum of 1500 minutes (100 minutes per week for 15 weeks) complemented by a minimum of 750 minutes of outside class student work (50 minutes per week for 15 weeks of scheduled lab/studio) per term. The Academic Credit Hour Policy is available on the Brookdale website

Brookdale adheres to the credit hour requirements regardless of instructional mode or length of term.


The maximum amount of credits matriculated, degree seeking students can take during the Long Terms (Fall, Spring, and Summer II) is 16 credits. Cumulative maximum for non-degree students is 11 credits. For the Winterim Term the maximum credit load is four (4) credits; for Summer I and Summer III terms the maximum for all students is seven (7) credits. Students wishing exceptions must meet with their counselor or an advisor. 

Student Records

The College maintains the following records on individual students:

Academic and Veteran Records These include: record of course completions, admission application, high school transcripts, advanced standing evaluations, course substitutions, referrals, change of data, related correspondence, etc. The Admissions, Records and Registration office is located on the first floor of the CAR building (lot #5).

Financial Aid Records These include: certification applications, promissory notes, course registrations, related correspondence, etc.The Financial Aid Office is located on the first floor of the CAR building (lot #5).

Student Development Records - Maintained by individual counselors and advisors, these include: high school and/or college transcripts, program plans, graduation evaluations, referrals, course substitutions, results of diagnostic and psychological tests, related correspondence, etc.Counselors and Advisors are located in the CAR building, on the second floor.

Record of Disciplinary Action - Maintained by the Manager of Student Conduct and Compliance.

Health Records - Maintained by the Registrar, in the Admission, Records and Registration office, CAR building, first floor.

Students who wish to review their educational records may do so by completing a “Request to Review Educational Records” form from Admissions. The office is open from 8:30AM to 6:30 PM, Monday through Thursday,  8:30 M to 5 PM on Fridays, and 9AM to noon on Saturdays. Upon receiving the form, an attempt will be made to schedule an appointment for a review within seven (7) days.

If, following the review, a student believes there is a factual inaccuracy in the records; students should contact the office maintaining the records to  attempt to settle the dispute regarding content through informal meetings and discussions with the appropriate department. If informal means do not result in student satisfaction, submit a written request to the Vice President of Student Success requesting a hearing to arbitrate the dispute. The hearing will be conducted and decided within a reasonable period of time (in no case to exceed 45 days) following the request for a hearing, a written decision will be rendered. The Vice President’s decision will be considered final.

Access to the records listed in this section will be given to College personnel with a legitimate educational interest in the records as determined by the College. Information will be released to other agencies and individuals in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (https://www.brookdalecc.edu/about/ferpa/).


Student’s academic grades are posted and available only online. Grades will be posted one week after the last day of the semester. Students can access their grades through their WebAdvisor account. An unofficial transcript with a student’s complete academic history is available in the student’s WebAdvisor account under the Academic Profile section. Official transcripts are only available from the Admission, Records and Registration office. See The Grading System  for details.