2016-2017 Catalog 
    Dec 06, 2021  
2016-2017 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission and Registration

The Admission Process

Brookdale Community College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution. All new students, whether planning to attend for a single course or full time, must complete and submit the on-line application, including a non-refundable $25 application fee. Applications may also be brought to the Admissions Office (www.brookdalecc.edu/applying-to-brookdale). Students will be admitted upon proof of vaccinations per U.S. Department of Education policy. Applicants may automatically enter any Brookdale program with the exception of Culinary-AAS, Electric Utility Technology-AAS, Nursing-AAS, Respiratory Care-AAS, Radiologic Technology-AAS, GM-ASEP Automotive-AAS, and Paralegal Studies Academic Credit Certificates, which involve an additional process. Applicants should contact the Admissions Office for details. Applicants should indicate their intent as a full-time or part-time student. Prospective international students should contact the International Education Center (www.brookdalecc.edu/international-student-services) for additional admission requirements. NOTE: A valid U.S. Social Security number may be required for completion of some academic programs that require an internship or placement in organizations that require a background check.

I.D. Cards

Each Brookdale student must have a BCC I.D. card whether full-time or part-time. Without one, a student cannot borrow a book from the Library, use recreation facilities, get student discounts on tickets, gain free entry to student events, and/or use the computer labs or the Testing Center. A Brookdale Student I.D. card is obtained in the Student Life Center, on the fist floor at the Information Desk or by having your I.D. photo taken at any of the regional locations Student Success Centers. Students must bring an official copy of their current schedule and a valid photo identification to obtain a Brookdale I.D. card. On the first day of each term, students must validate their I.D. cards in where they received them or at any of the regional locations Student Success Centers. If you loose your student I.D. card, there is a $15 replacement cost.

Residency Definitions

Monmouth County Resident - A person with a permanent Monmouth County address who has lived in New Jersey for at least one year prior to the first day of instruction. Armed Forces personnel and their dependents stationed in the county are considered Monmouth County residents, regardless of residency requirements.

Out-of-County Resident - A resident of a county other than Monmouth, who has lived in New Jersey for at least one year prior to the first day of instruction. The tuition  (www.brookdalecc.edu/tuition-fees) rate as well as the maximum amount per term is higher than the rate for Monmouth County residents. However, if you attend Brookdale because your county does not have a community college, or because the community college does not offer the program you wish to pursue, you may be eligible for full or partial “charge back”, a system by which you pay in-county tuition rates. Contact Brookdale’s Admission Office or the Admission Office of your local community college.

Out-of-State Resident - A person who has not lived in New Jersey for at least one year prior to the first day of instruction. The tuition rate as well as the maximum amount per term is higher than the rate for out-of-county residents.

Out-of-Country Resident - A person in the United States for purposes other than that of establishing permanent residence, with non-immigrant status as designated under immigration regulations. Individuals who wish to apply for a student visa to attend Brookdale Community College should contact the International Education Center for additional information. Out-of country residents tuition is assessed at the same rate as out-of-state residents.

Change in Residence - Students must request a change in residency and provide all residency documents before the end of the refund (add/drop) period to receive in-county tuition for a semester or term. Tuition billing will be adjusted for the student’s next semester or term if residency documents are submitted after the refund period. Following is the list of documents required for proof of residency:

1.  Student must have a valid New Jersey driver’s license or a State issued photo I.D. card.

2.  Any one of the following valid documents (dated within one year) is acceptable:

  • Current Lease or Deed
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Utility Bill, Bank Statement or Postmarked Correspondence

NOTE: On-line printed documents ARE NOT accepted.

Program Matriculation

Matriculation means enrollment in a particular program or option leading to a degree or certificate. Students so enrolled are defined as degree seeking students. Non-degree students are those who wish to take courses for a variety of reasons other than seeking a degree or certificate. These students may waive matriculation into a program up to 30 credits. Non-degree students who have completed 11 credits at Brookdale and want to become degree seeking students, or waive matriculation for up to 30 credits are required to take a Foundational Studies Placement Test (www.brookdalecc.edu/accuplacerbasic-skills-testing) and declare a major, or they must meet test waiver requirements, before being permitted to register for the twelfth credit.

Programs of study and Certificates (www.brookdalecc.edu/associate-degree-programs) can change, be deleted or added year to year. When a student matriculates, that is declares the program of study or certificate, the requirements listed in that year’s College Catalog are the requirements that must be met to achieve the selected degree or certificate. The student does have the option to change to the next year’s catalog if requirements in their current program or certificate change the following year or they can continue in academic year in which they matriculated.

If a student decides to change their program of study, the student must meet all requirements listed in the College Catalog in effect at the time of the program change.

It is important to know that after matriculating into a program or certificate, if a student is not enrolled for one year from the end of the semester in which they last attended, the student must meet all requirements listed in the College Catalog for the semester or term in which they resume study.

Students should review the full Matriculation Regulation (www.brookdalecc.edu/6-1502r-matriculation.pdf)  for a more complete explanation and understanding of program matriculation.

Degree Students

Degree students are enrolled in programs leading to degrees and/or certificates. In addition to the Brookdale application, degree students must submit a record of high school graduation or attendance and immunization documentation. Students with equivalency diplomas should submit either a copy of the diploma or the actual scores received. A form to request high school records is available from the Admissions Office, as are the application and immunization forms. Students without high school or equivalency diplomas will be referred to Brookdale’s 30-credit high school equivalency program (www.state.nj.us/education/students/adulted/30ccapp.htm). Degree students must select a major field, keeping in mind that program selection may be changed at any time. REMEMBER, students who change their program, MUST complete all requirements listed in the College Catalog in effect at the time of the program change. Those unsure about a major field of study should indicate a general interest area. The admissions process cannot continue until a major field or interest area has been declared.

Transfer Students

Degree students transferring to Brookdale after gaining credits elsewhere are required to submit official transcripts from their other colleges or post-secondary schools. Non-remedial credits with grades of “C” (2.0) or above may be accepted toward Brookdale degrees, if applicable to the chosen program. In some instances, trade and technical schools and Armed Forces classes are accepted for Brookdale credit. Transcripts must be official and students wishing to have previous credits evaluated toward Brookdale degrees are responsible for having transcripts sent to the Office of Recruitment Services and informing their Counselor or Advisor that they would like their transcripts evaluated. Transfer credit will not be posted to the official college transcript until the student has successfully completed their current semester at Brookdale. For additional information go to the Transfer To Brookdale (www.brookdalecc.edu/transfer-to-brookdale)  page on  the Recruitment Services website (www.brookdalecc.edu/recruitment-services).

Pre-Registration Testing

All new students must take a Foundational Studies Placement Test which includes measurement of reading, writing and mathematics. This test is designed to assure that students are ready to perform college-level work. It is suggested that students review “How Can I Prepare for Accuplacer” at www.brookdalecc.edu/academics/testing-services/accuplacerbasic-skills-testing prior to taking the Accuplacer assessment.  Testing Waivers are available to students under the following provisions:

Full Test Waiver
(Students will not have to take the test):

  1. Students who have completed at least 24 college level credits with a grade of “C” or better from an accredited college. These 24 credits must include English composition and a mathematics course higher than introductory or elementary Algebra.
  2. Students have taken the Accuplacer test at another college.
  3. Students have at least a four-year degree from an accredited college.

Partial Test Waiver
(Students only need part of the test):

  1. Students who have taken the SAT test within the last 3 years and have achieved the following scores:
    1. Critical Reading score of 540 or higher will waive both Writing and Reading tests.
    2. Quantitative score of 530 or higher will waive both Computation and Algebra tests.
  2. Students who have taken the ACT test within the last 3 years and have achieved the following scores:
    1. ACT Reading score of 23 or higher waives Reading portion of the test
    2. ACT Writing score of 23 or higher waives Sentence Skills portion of the test
    3. ACT Math score of 22 or higher waives Math Computation and Elementary Algebra portions of the test
  3. Students have credits from another college that do not meet the full guidelines of the Full Test Waiver category above.

    Students MAY qualify for a partial waiver. An individual assessment must be made.

Non-native speakers of English and persons age 65 and older may also be eligible for a test waiver. To receive a test waiver, students must apply in person in the Admission Office.

Those wishing to waive on the basis of previous credits must provide a transcript (unofficial or official) or a college diploma. Students with documented disabilities who would like to request appropriate accommodations should contact the Disability Services Office (www.brookdalecc.edu/disability-services) prior to testing.

Students will be given information about meeting with an Advisor or Counselor after the test. Students who waive testing will be given counselor information in the Admission Office upon confirmation of the testing waiver. It is the student’s responsibility to make an appointment with a counselor to have the Foundational Studies Test results interpreted and to select appropriate courses for their first term.  Students may be eligible for a retest after consultation with their counselor.

Students whose scores indicate the need to enhance skills in the areas of Reading, Language Arts and/or Pre-algebra or Elementary Algebra will be placed in the appropriate courses. Students with gaps in their academic backgrounds or who, with the passage of time, have grown rusty in any of these areas, will find that the Foundational Studies courses are designed to bring skills up to the necessary level for optimum college performance. Students needing such work must take and satisfactorily complete a Foundational Studies course(s); Foundational Studies course credits do not count towards graduation or GPA. Students whose scores indicate no need for Foundational Studies coursework may not enroll in them. 

Foundational Studies

Courses in foundational studies reading, writing and mathematics are provided to help under-prepared students gain the necessary skills to succeed in college-level course work. The program consists of testing, placement, counseling, courses and support services. The objectives of Foundational Studies (www.brookdalecc.edu/academics/testing-services/accuplacerbasic-skills-testing) at Brookdale Community College are to:

  • Assess and identify students’ academic needs.
  • Address these needs through counseling and foundational studies coursework in writing, reading and mathematics and related support services.
  • Establish requirements for enrollment in and completion of necessary foundational studies courses.

The College will provide Accuplacer (www.brookdalecc.edu/academics/testing-services/accuplacerbasic-skills-testing) placement testing to identify and assess students’ academic needs. Students identified as needing development in the skills necessary to succeed in college-level courses are required to take and pass Foundational Studies courses as outlined below. Foundational Studies courses are offered below the 100 level for institutional credit but will not be counted as credits toward graduation or GPA.

The following students are required to be tested for placement:

  1.  All first-time entering full-time and part-time matriculated students. (See Test Waivers Above)
  2. Transfer students who have not passed a college-level writing course or a college-level math course beyond elementary algebra (only the appropriate Accuplacer subject tests are required). Students with fewer than 24 credits of college-level courses must take the Reading Accuplacer test.
  3. Non-matriculating students registering for their 12th credit.
  4. Non-matriculating students below 12 credits who wish to register for Foundational Studies courses or a course with Foundational Studies pre/co-requisites.
  5. Students at the end of the ESL sequence.

Students are entitled to one retest per subject area. Retests are given in the Testing Center, (www.brookdalecc.edu/testing-services) located on the lower level of the CAR building on a walk-in basis, and at the Brookdale regional locations and Freehold Campus (www.brookdalecc.edu/regional-locations) by appointment. The Writing test must be taken in the Writing Center (www.brookdalecc.edu/writing-center) located in LAH 118. Please call 732-224-2941 for Writing Center hours and information.

A retest in a given subject area must be taken prior to the end of the add/drop period in the first semester of the required Foundational Studies course.

Students identified as requiring developmental coursework will be placed in those courses as follows:

  • Foundational Studies Reading: within the first 12 credits
  • Foundational Studies Writing: within the first 12 credits
  • Foundational Studies Mathematics (Algebra and/or Pre-algebra): within the first 12 credits unless the counselor determines that foundational reading and writing should be completed first; in that case, in the first semester following completion of required foundational reading.

In order to fulfill Foundational Studies requirements, students must pass all required Foundational Studies courses. Students who do not complete a Foundational Studies course are required to re-register for the course in the next term. The Registrar will notify students who fail any course(s) including Foundational Studies courses indicating that they must contact their counselor regarding future course enrollment.

Students may not register for any course for which they have not met Foundational Studies prerequisites or co-requisites. In a 2 or 3 course sequence, students must take the next course in the sequence.  Foundational Studies Placement Test scores are good for three (3) years. After three (3) years, students must either retest or see a counselor to be placed in courses based on current skills.

Admission to Health Science Programs

To be eligible for admission to Health Science programs, a person must:

  1. Have a high school diploma or the equivalent.
  2. Complete the Brookdale application and the specific program application forms.
  3. Take the Foundational Studies Placement Test and complete any courses required as a result of scores.
  4. Have passing grades in high school Biology and Chemistry for the Nursing, Respiratory Care, and Radiologic Technology programs or pass the equivalent College courses.
  5. Pass a standardized Health Science entrance exam for all Health Science programs except Dental Assisting and Health Information Technology.
  6. Complete Medical Terminology (HESC 105) prior to the start of the Respiratory Care Program.
  7. Complete Medical Terminology (HESC 105) and Anatomy and Physiology I (BIOL 111) prior to the start of the Radiologic Technology Program.
  8. Attend an information session.
  9. Complete a course as a CNA/CHHA/PCA/PCT prior to the start of the Nursing program.
  10. Clinical agencies mandate criminal history background checks for all individuals engaged in patient care and all students must undergo criminal history background checks. A criminal history background check, which requires a valid social security number, must be completed prior to admission to the allied health programs.  Students enrolled in the Health Information Technology Program are required to complete the criminal background check prior to the start of the practicum experience (HITC 226).  These checks are conducted by an external vendor and the information is sent to the College and to clinical agencies. Agency personnel will evaluate the information they receive and, in their sole discretion, make the final determination as to each student’s ability to continue to engage in patient care in their agency. If a student is denied clinical placement by any clinical agency due to criminal history information, that student will be dropped from the program.
  11. Participation in clinical laboratory is also contingent on a satisfactory medical examination report (including vaccination history) from a physician or nurse practitioner.
  12. Brookdale maintains contracts with affiliated facilities which stipulate participation by students whose health and scholastic progress assure a safe level of clinical performance. Unsafe practice at any point in the semester will result in the student being dismissed from the program.

Dental Hygiene Program informationAs of January 2017, the Rutgers School of Health Professions has suspended admissions and future enrollment of new students for the Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene programs.  The information below no longer applied.  Students may not enroll in the Health Science Option to pursue dental hygiene.

Effective fall 2016, application deadlines to both the Dental Assisting Certificate and the Dental Hygiene Baccalaureate program at Rutgers School of Health Related Professions (SHRP) is August 1, 2016.  Application is directly through SHRP.  Students must complete at least 30 credits at Brookdale Community College to be eligible for admission. Students are encouraged to enroll in the Social Science program, Health Science Option, A.A. degree. This program will meet all of the pre-requisite and General Education requirements for application. The following program requirements (with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.85) must be completed prior to application: Anatomy and Physiology I and II (BIOL 111, BIOL 112), Microbiology (BIOL 213), Introduction to Inorganic, Organic and Biological Chemistry (CHEM 136), English Composition: Writing Process (ENGL 121) and Introduction to Psychology II (PSYC 106). In addition, the following general education courses must be completed with a minimum GPA of 2.0 prior to the start of the dental course work in January: English Composition: Writing and Research (ENGL 122), Principles of Sociology (SOCI 101), Public Speaking (SPCH 115), and Algebraic Modeling (MATH 145). Credit earned may not be older than 10 years.

Applicants are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until the classes are filled. The number of students admitted depends on the availability of faculty and clinical facilities.

Persons with relevant previous college credits may have their transcripts evaluated for program credit.

Licensure Requirements for Health Science Graduates

Graduates of the Health Science program who wish to apply for a license to practice must answer questions on the licensing application related to a criminal history. These questions can be accessed at the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs website (www.njconsumeraffairs.gov) under the specific discipline.

Admission to the Electric Utility Technology Program

The Electric Utility Technology AAS is offered in partnership with FirstEnergy Corp. to train top-quality, well-educated experienced line workers and substation electricians.  To earn this degree, students need to complete 61 credits consecutively over four semesters and a summer internship.  Classes are held at Brookdale Community College Freehold campus and laboratory courses are held at a JCP&L facility.  Students must satisfy specific requirements for admission to the program. Prospective students participate in skills evaluations that include activities that test strength, endurance and ability to work in an elevated position. The program begins in the Fall term. 

Below is a summary of admission steps:

  1. Attend an Open House/program orientation hosted by FirstEnergy.  Students should complete a Candidate History Form at the Open House.
  2. Apply for Admission to Brookdale; send any previous college transcripts to Brookdale for evaluation
  3. Complete Brookdale placement testing
  4. Meet with a counselor
  5. Complete developmental coursework if required during summer terms
  6. Complete a FAFSA. Visit Brookdale’s Financial Aid (www.brookdalecc.edu/admissions/financial-aid) websitefor more information. 
  7. Attend technical and physical evaluations scheduled by First Energy

 Non-Degree Students

Non-degree students are those students not enrolled in programs of study leading to degrees or certificates. These students may take up to 11 Brookdale credits without declaring a major. Non-degree students may change to matriculated status at any time. Non-degree students must file the Brookdale application, and then may register upon acceptance. Although non-degree students are not required to meet with a counselor or advisor, this service is available and highly recommended. Certain courses require pre-registration testing. Non-degree students should consult this catalog to determine if the courses they wish to take require the Foundational Studies Placement Test.

Advisement & Counseling

The department offers advisement and counseling services to all full-time and part-time Brookdale students. These services include academic advisement and course approvals, advisement for students transferring to or from Brookdale, career counseling, referrals for testing, personal counseling and crisis intervention. Non-degree students are not required to meet with an advisor or counselor, however these services are available for the non-degree student as well. See Brookdale Services  for a complete description of advisement, counseling and student development services. Non-degree students should consult catalog course descriptions very carefully. A non-degree student who drops a course or is dropped from a course because of a lack of appropriate prerequisites will not receive a refund.

Registering For Courses

Registration dates, as well other important term dates can be found under the Admissions And Aid tab on the Brookdale homepage (www.brookdalecc.edu). Click on the term of enrollment for term specific dates. Please pay close attention to these dates to be well informed of  payment due dates for the term of enrollment, add/drop periods, tuition refund periods, first day of instruction, last day to drop classes, and official College closings for example. Students must pay all financial obligations; failure to meet these obligations will result in the withholding of grades and/or transcripts and the inability to register for subsequent terms or receive final transcripts. Students must also comply with state and federal regulations, noncompliance could result in dismissal from classes. Classes may be cancelled at the discretion of the Vice President of Learning. If the College cancels classes students will be issued an automatic refund.

Priority Registration

After the initial semester of study, students will receive priority registration passes through their Brookdale email (the official communication tool between the College and students). The initial days of each registration period are reserved for returning students to ensure registration for courses required for program completion. There is a date and time listed on the priority pass and students may register on that date/time or later, but not before. Students are urged to take advantage of priority passes since courses fill up quickly and lines become lengthy later in the registration period.

Open Registration

New students may register on or after the first day of open registration. Registration dates can be found on the Brookdale homepage under the Admissions And Aid tab. Students with credits from other institutions or who have relevant field experience may be required to provide transcripts to the Office of Recruitment Services or meet with Brookdale faculty to determine eligibility to take particular courses.

Credit by Examination (CLEP and Dantes)

Testing Services offers CLEP and DSST assessments, which are credit-by-examination programs for students who have gained knowledge elsewhere - in school, on the job, in the military, through independent study, or through other learning experiences. Credit-by-examination testing may allow students to bypass subjects in which they already have college-level knowledge. The CLEP and DSST tests are given exclusively on computers, consisting of a variety of general education and subject examinations. Students may choose any one or a combination of tests, and if passed, students will receive credit at Brookdale. Please check the Testing Center (www.brookdalecc.edu/testing-services) website for cut off scores and course equivalences. CLEP and DSST credits are accepted at over 2,000 colleges and universities throughout the country. Stop by the Office of Testing Services or consult with a counselor for additional information.

Once The Term Begins…

Attendance Policy

Individual instructors determine the attendance policy for their courses. Instructors will distribute their attendance policy in the syllabi or instructor addendum. It is the responsibility of every student to know and adhere to the attendance policy specified for each class. Attendance may affect a student’s eligibility for financial aid and Veterans’ benefits.


Students may withdraw from courses without financial penalty any time BEFORE the first day of a term. Students must complete an Add/Drop Form in person in the Admission, Records and Registration Office or on-line if eligible, check the FAQ in WebAdvisor, question #25. A full refund of tuition and fees will ONLY be granted prior to the first day of the term; a check will be mailed within four to six weeks. As of the first day of the term, refund amounts are reduced and are granted for tuition only. All fees are non-refundable once the term begins. Brookdale’s refund policy states that a student may receive 100% refund of tuition and fees up until the DAY BEFORE the first day of the term; 80% refund of tuition only, no fees during the first week of the term; 60% refund of tuition only, no fees during the second week of the term.  No refund will be issued after the second week in any given term. Select Important Term Dates (www.brookdalecc.edu/important-term-dates) under the Admissions tab from the Brookdale homepage for refund periods and more important dates. Students are responsible for knowing these dates. Courses that the College drops from the schedule are not the student’s responsibility and students in deleted courses will be notified by email and telephone when possible. Students may elect to choose other courses and pay additional tuition and fees if the credit total is larger, or receive a refund by mail if they opt for courses with fewer credits. If a student does not wish to select another course, a full refund will automatically be sent. See College Regulation 4.1003R Refunds for Tuition and/or Fees for complete details.

Special Refund Conditions

Medical Illness: A full refund of tuition and fees will be granted to students who officially withdraw during the term in which an illness occurs. Students must submit an Appeal for Medical Withdrawal, an Add/Drop form and the physician’s official confirmation of illness to the Admissions, Records and Registration Office. Appeal for Withdrawal and Add/Drop forms are available in the office of Admissions.

Military Service: A full refund of tuition and fees will be granted if a student enters any branch of the United States military during the term enrolled. To receive a full refund, students must submit to the Admission,Records and Registration office, a copy of the induction/enlistment papers, an Appeal for Withdrawal and an Add/Drop form. The date of induction must be prior to the last day of the term of enrollment. Credits must not have been awarded in the course(s) for which the refund is requested. Forms are available in the office of Admissions.

Adding/Dropping Courses

Be advised that students are responsible for ensuring all pre and co-requisite requirements are met before taking courses. Students who register for classes before grades are finalized must drop classes if they do not successfully pass the pre or co-requisite subject(s). Students who do not withdraw from classes for which they have not completed required course work will be dropped with no refund.

Based on certain eligibility requirements, students may be able to add and/or drop classes on-line. To determine eligibility, go to WebAdvisor found by clicking the red MyBrookdale tab, then selecting Web Advisor from the various applications, under the Instructions ans Policy section, click on the Frequently Asked Questions link and read question #25 “Can I register online?”

If a student adds a course(s) the student must pay any additional tuition and fees. If a student drops a course(s) and is eligible for a refund, a check will be mailed. Students must OFFICIALLY drop courses during the refund period listed in the important term dates  to receive a refund. Students who do not officially drop a course during the dates specified are responsible for all fees and tuition payments. If students stop attending a course(s) during a term, students must OFFICIALLY withdraw from the course(s). If the student does not officially withdraw, an F will be assigned for the course and will become part of the official college transcript. These transactions can not be done over the phone.

Course Cancellation Policy

When students register for courses and the paid course is canceled or the time is changed, students will be informed by email or by telephone as possible. Students can replace the canceled course through the appropriate Institute Office. If for any reason students have to change their schedule, an Add/Drop form must be completed and brought to the Admissions Office.


Brookdale Community College operates on a semester credit hour basis. Generally, one credit hour is assigned for each 750 minutes of lecture time. Laboratory experience during a semester generally consists of 1,500 minutes of work per credit hour. Clinical, field observation, internships and other experiences have additional time requirements depending on the program.

The maximum amount of credits matriculated, degree seeking students can take during the Long Terms (Fall, Spring, and Summer II) is 16 credits. Cumulative maximum for non-degree students is 11 credits. For the Winterim Term the maximum credit load is four (4) credits; for Summer I and Summer III terms the maximum for all students is seven (7) credits. Students wishing exceptions must meet with their counselor or an advisor.

Student Records

The College maintains the following records on individual students:

Academic and Veteran Records These include: record of course completions, admission application, high school transcripts, advanced standing evaluations, course substitutions, referrals, change of data, related correspondence, etc. The Admissions, Records and Registration office is located on the first floor of the CAR building (lot #5).

Financial Aid Records These include: certification applications, promissory notes, course registrations, related correspondence, etc.The Financial Aid Office is located on the first floor of the CAR building (lot #5).

Student Development Records - Maintained by individual counselors and advisors, these include: high school and/or college transcripts, program plans, graduation evaluations, referrals, course substitutions, results of diagnostic and psychological tests, related correspondence, etc.Counselors and Advisors are located in the CAR building, on the second floor.

Record of Disciplinary Action - Maintained by the Director of Student Conduct and Compliance.

Health Records - Maintained by the Registrar, in the Admission, Records and Registration office, CAR building, first floor.

Students who wish to review their educational records may do so by completing a “Request to Review Educational Records” form from Admissions. The office is open from 8:30AM to 7 PM, Monday through Thursday,  8:30 M to 5 PM on Fridays, and 9AM to noon on Saturdays. Upon receiving the form, an attempt will be made to schedule an appointment for a review within seven (7) days.

If, following the review, a student believes there is a factual inaccuracy in the records; students should contact the office maintaining the records to  attempt to settle the dispute regarding content through informal meetings and discussions with the appropriate department. If informal means do not result in student satisfaction, submit a written request to the Vice President of Student Success requesting a hearing to arbitrate the dispute. The hearing will be conducted and decided within a reasonable period of time (in no case to exceed 45 days) following the request for a hearing, a written decision will be rendered. The Vice President’s decision will be considered final.

Access to the records listed in this section will be given to College personnel with a legitimate educational interest in the records as determined by the College. Information will be released to other agencies and individuals in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (www.brookdalecc.edu/ferpa).


Student’s academic grades are posted and available only online. Grades will be posted one week after the last day of the semester. Students can access their grades through their WebAdvisor account. An unofficial transcript with a student’s complete academic history is available in the student’s WebAdvisor account under the Academic Profile section. Official transcripts are only available from the Admission, Records and Registration office. See The Grading System  for details.